Providing the Right Representation for Your Dispute
Although in many housing situations within the state of New Mexico, landlords and tenants have a reasonably peaceful relationship, there are other times where misunderstandings and mishaps can cause interactions to quickly become combative. When or even both sides are unaware of either their legal responsibilities or their rights, major conflicts can occur. This is why it is so essential to have a Las Cruces landlord tenant law attorney ready to both clarify housing obligations and defend your rights.
No matter what your situation is, we are ready to help resolve your disputes. Whether you are an owner who has been taken advantage of or a tenant who has been unfairly treated, you can find resolution at last, so long as Advanced Legal Resolutions, LLC is at your side. It is our goal to deliver the justice you deserve.
Call us today at (575) 209-5879 to get all the answers for your questions regarding landlord and tenant law.
Landlords' Rights in New Mexico
If you are a landlord in Las Cruces, it is important to remember that you have rights. Firstly, you of course deserve to be paid on time with the correct rate of payment. While tenants may have difficulty in paying from time to time, you are not obliged to repeatedly excuse their behavior.
Moreover, if a tenant causes any form of damage to the property, whether on purpose or out of mere negligence, you as a landlord have the right to have the scenario investigated so that you can be compensated accurately for the costs of repair. Unless this damage was due to normal wear-and-tear, then tenants will need to pay from their security deposits.
Tenants' Rights in New Mexico
As a tenant living in Las Cruces, you also have several rights which must be honored, or else you will be entitled to file a lawsuit.
Some of the most crucial rights of tenants include:
- The ability to live in a home that is actually fit, clean, and appropriate for the habitation of humans
- Access to necessary basics for sustained living, such as clean, running water, heat, appliances to cook with, and electricity
- Protection from the elements, such as unbroken, closable windows and proper insulation
- Common areas which are accessible to any tenant, lacking any obstructions or materials which could impose safety issues
- Hallways, fire escapes, and stairwells which residents with disabilities can access
- Freedom from any discrimination of housing made on the basis of gender, nationality, race, ethnicity, religion, age, disability, or any other factor
- Protection from arbitrary and random eviction – eviction is only possible if the tenant has obviously breached previously agreed-upon rules, such as destroying property or refusing to pay the rent
So often what causes conflicts between landlords and tenants is that one or both parties are unaware of their rights and responsibilities. This is made much more difficult by the fact that New Mexico has many complex legal addendums and detailed, fine-print clarifications which people must try to wade through to understand. No matter who you are or what your situation is, you can benefit by having our Las Cruces landlord tenant law attorney ready to advise you.